Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Day I Grew A Pair

I'm not a fan of confrontation. Even with Eric I hate talking about how I feel and would just rather deal with it myself and/or put the issue behind us.

Not too long after we moved in Eric and I were cooking dinner around 5 or 6 on a Sunday night and there was a knock at the door. The girl who had moved in below us less than 24 hours prior to this was at our door to tell us we "walk loud". I didn't even know how to respond to that, Eric suggested that maybe she was hearing the work being done on another apartment in the building. She said that no, she could definitely tell that it was us walking around and if she knew she was living above someone she would try and be a little more quiet. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?! She left without us really saying anything, it was kind of awkward, and afterwards we realized we probably should have defended ourselves a bit more. She's living in an apartment with people above her, of course she is going to hear footsteps.

A few days/weeks (I can't remember how long) after that I woke up at 12:30/1am to hear someone in the apartment downstairs pounding on the wall with a hammer. I woke Eric up but he was so out of it he just went back to sleep. I. WAS. PISSED. It's 1am, why the hell would they think pounding on the walls at that time was anything but unacceptable!?! Because Eric fell back asleep I didn't go down there to say anything and I eventually fell back asleep. This happened a few more times but because it was the middle of the night I never got out of bed to go downstairs and tell them to stop. I wish I would have but I was hesitant about knocking on someones door at 2am in case it wasn't them I was hearing.

Last night I went to dinner with a friend and didn't get home until about 8:45. Eric was in the field all week so the dog was home alone and was super hyper when I walked through the door, even though I had walked her that morning and played with her in the afternoon. After picking a few things up I sat down on the couch and threw her a tennis ball for a while.

At 9:25 there was a knock on the door and I looked out the peephole and saw the girl from downstairs. I immediately knew she was going to say we were being too loud and all those nights of being pissed about the hammering came back and I opened the door. She looked down at the dog and said that her son had just got home from the hospital and was trying to sleep so could I keep the dog quiet. I have no idea what came over me but I turned into uber-bitch and told her "well all those nights of you hammering at 1 in the morning pissed me off too but I never said anything." She gave me a weird look and I told her that it was a while ago and the look on her face told me she knew what I was talking about. I honestly did feel bad her son was in the hospital so I said "I will try and keep her quite, I honestly will, but it's not even 9:30 yet." She walked away without saying a world.

HO-LY COW. Where the hell did that come from!?! I am not ever like that and I can't believe those things came out of my mouth haha. I know I should have been a bit more neighborly but after talking to Eric about it he said he was glad that I stood up for us and reminded me again about not saying anything about the hammering. We are always respectful of those that live around us and don't play with the dog after 9:30 but we are also aware that we are going to hear other people sometime and it's not a big deal to us.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment