Monday, July 18, 2011

Your Candle Burned Out Long Before...

As I write tonight my heart is heavy, a fellow sorority sister died early this morning at way too young an age. I don't write much about my time with Alpha Xi Delta but those four years have forever shaped who I am.

I both loved and struggled with the identity and responsibility that came with my membership. I rebelled against the rules and reveled in the opportunities. I met countless women through my four years and have nothing less than the utmost respect for their friendship. I know what it takes to be a sorority member, the meetings, the roles, the responsibilities; those are the reasons we come out senior year as distinguished leaders. I understand why those who didn't choose our route cannot possibly fathom why it is so special.

Tonight my heart breaks for another sorority sister, one half of a friendship left behind because of this tragedy. Just the other day she commented about them getting to see each other in a week, now that opportunity is gone. Life is so unbelievably short and I still am having a hard time believing she is gone. We weren't very close and have not spoken in some time, but I am still incredibly saddened by this news.

Rest in peace Jada, you were taken way too soon. TFJ <3


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss. I too have mourned the loss of a sorority sister, a woman who would have changed the world. Rejoice in the memories you had with her, for in them she will always live on!

    ReplyDelete